WHY ARE LEFTIST INDUSTRIES AND INSTITUTIONS SUCH HOTBEDS OF RACIAL PRIVILEGE? How White Is Hollywood?
While Cheryl Boone Isaacs, the Academy president, earlier this week expressed her commitment to bringing “much-needed diversity” to the organization, the numbers draw a daunting picture of the task ahead:
· 6.7 percent of Oscar nominations since the creation of the awards in 1929 have gone to non-white actors; in the past 25 years, 12.5 percent of nominees were non-white, according to AMPAS, the Academy Awards Database.
· The Academy’s members were 94 percent white and 77 percent male, according to a 2012 study by the Los Angeles Times.
· 94 percent of film studio heads are white and 100 percent are male, according to the 2015 Hollywood Diversity Report by the University of California, Los Angeles.
· 16.7 percent of the lead roles were given to minorities in the 174 films examined for 2013, up from 15.1 percent in 2012, according to the Hollywood Diversity Report. (Minorities represented 37.4 percent of the US population in 2013.)
· Also according to the diversity report, women and minorities are significantly underrepresented in film and TV, even though Hispanics and African-Americans reportedly go to the cinema more frequently than whites.
Reform isn’t enough. I won’t rest until this modern-day KKK of an industry is shut down. Repeal the Hollywood Tax Cuts! Why subsidize racism?